I'll answer that for you in a minute.
Some time last week the brake lamp light came on in my car. Now, normally I would just call J and tell him and he would fix it- but I decided to take a different approach this time. I was going to try to change it myself. I used to be pretty handy back in the day- I once fixed my moms furnace by reading up on it. Well reading up on it and with a lot of luck. But either way I did it.
Changing a brake lamp can't be that hard right? So on Saturday morning I dragged the girls to Auto Zone to buy the bulbs. I decided against trying to figure out which was the right one and headed straight to the help counter. The gentleman that worked there was very helpful and after looking up the correct bulb he even went back and got it for me. Yay, step one was done- bulb purchased.
We had a couple other errands to run- Target and DSW- I was already rewarding myself for changing the bulb with a new pair of shoes- two actually. Even though the bulb was still in the Auto Zone bag on the front seat of the car - Jumping the gun a bit?
Once we were home from our errands it was time- I took the bulbs out of the package and realize they weren't like regular light bulbs. No little screw thingy on the bottom. Hmm- this might be a little more difficult than I thought. Oh and by the way- how do I get to the bulb anyway. I figured I could just check the manual and see what it said- but wait- where is the manual? Oh thats right- it was one of the things they stole when my car was broken into last year. Great now what? You guessed it- GOOGLE!
I googled- How do you change the rear brake light in a 2004 Honda Pilot?
- You'll need a philips head screwdriver- damn- is that the one with four or one straight across? I'll just bring both out.
- Open the hatch and locate two screws near brake lamp. Wait- I don't know which light is out. Scream for girls to come out and press brake pedal so I can see which light is out. Then listen to them fight about who got to press it more times. Tell them if they don't stop stepping on the brake that mommy is going to get electrocuted.
- Unscrew two screws and wiggle and pull lamp assembly until it comes out.
- Realize that there are two bulbs in lamp- wonder which one is burnt out. Ask girls to once again to step on brake. Witness one girl scale over the passenger seat in a single bound to be first one this time. Listen to other girl whine and cry.
- Locate burn out bulb and twist to remove bulb. Replace with new bulb and twist it back into lamp.
- Have whiny crying girl step on brake to see if it works. Listen to other girl whine and cry now. Figure there's no winning in this game.
- Return lamp assembly back and tighten screws.
- Close hatch.
When I came back in I was gloating- I changed the bulb by myself- I didn't need any help. Jillian said- number one mommy- you didn't do it yourself- we stepped on the brake pedal- and number two- you had to google it.
Damn I wonder who she takes after?!?!
I don't care what anyone says- I did it!